Sunday, July 28, 2013

Patchwork cushion


I have been asked to make a patchwork quilt for a new baby arriving soon and thought I had best practise my patchworking skills.  I decided to choose a simple pattern, the Balkan Puzzle Block which is made up of half square triangles.  I had a look at some of the fat quarters I had a decided on these three fabrics.  I needed to cut 2 5.5in squares out of the patterned pieces and 4 5.5in squares out of the plain piece.


I then pinned a plain square to each patterned square and sewed around all four sides.
I then cut the square from corner to corner on the diagonal and this produces 4 half square triangles. 
 Ironed out this is what they look like.  I then trimmed off the little corner triangles so that they end up square.
 I then place them in the pattern that they will end up in.  I took a photo for reference.
 I then sewed along each row, and then I sewed each row together.
 This is the final block.
 And the back.
 With one of the patterned fabrics I made the backing and tada!  I have a Balkan Puzzle Block cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment